"We are thrilled to be able to bring the Detroit Grand Prix back to Belle Isle,” said Detroit Mayor Dave Bing. "Thanks to the support of INDYCAR, Penske Corporation and Chevrolet we will once again host one of the world's most prestigious motorsports events.
Alongside the IZOD IndyCar Series, INDYCAR's sanctioned Indy Lights will run over the 3-day race weekend accompanied by Grand-Am and the Cadillac V-Series.
“Chevrolet has a long, storied history in Indy car racing,” said Mark Reuss, president, GM North America. “This year we celebrated the shared centennial of Chevrolet and the Indianapolis 500. We're excited to see that history continue with the help of Penske Corporation and INDYCAR bringing back open-wheel racing to Detroit in 2012. This city is a natural for racing – it put the world on wheels and the roar of engines is something that simply belongs here."
Team Penske driver Ryan Briscoe mentioned on Twitter following the announcement that the race will be aired on ABC.
- Stefan Wilson will return to the #5 Andretti Autosport Firestone Indy Lights entry this weekend in Vegas sponsored by solar electric system provider Citizenre Corp.
- Grime Boss will sponsor Mike Conway and the #27 entry in the season finale.
- Tony Hawk will serve as Grand Marshal for the Las Vegas Indy 300, delivering the words "Drivers, start your engines!"
- INDYCAR will tribute Michael Wanser, the 6-year-old son battling leukemia of Target Chip Ganassi Racing team manager Barry Wanser this weekend in Vegas.
- Ed Carpenter won the Firestone 'Tire-ific' move of the race for Kentucky.
- IZOD IndyCar Series teams will be allotted 10 sets of Firestone Firehawks in Vegas, using the same specification as the Kentucky sets. The spec utilizes the same body construction as ran at the Twin 250's in Texas, but with a new tread compound on all four tires.
- This weekend's race on the 1.5 mile oval in Nevada will mark 24-year-old Marco Andretti's 100th IndyCar start.
- Tickets for the 2012 Indianapolis 500 are available for purchase at IndianapolisMotorSpeedway.com, by phone at (317) 492-6700 or (800) 822-INDY, and in person at the IMS Admin. building on the corner of 16th and Georgetown.