- Blake Shelton will perform the night before the '500' at IMS. - Journey has been announced to play the annual Carb Day concert at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in May.

INDYCAR Unveils New Logo

INDYCAR unveiled on Friday an updated...

Aleshin Signs With Schmidt Peterson For 2016

Schmidt Peterson Motorsports announced Wednesday morning the ...

Brabham Lands '500' Ride

Grandson of Sir Jack Brabham and son of Geoff...

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Filippi In, Chaves Out For Toronto

Dale Coyne Racing has announced Luca Filippi will return to pilot the No. 19 Honda entry in this weekend's race in Toronto.

"I'm very excited to be back with Dale Coyne Racing this weekend and to have the chance to race in the Honda Indy Toronto again," Filippi said. "I want to thank IMPCO Technologies, the ComfortPro team and Dale Coyne for giving me this opportunity. It's one of my favorite races, not just because I finished on the podium in Toronto last year, but because it's one of the best events on the schedule and I love to race on street circuits. I can't wait to get back on track."

Qualifications for Toronto will air at 1:30 ET Saturday on NBCSN with the race running at 2:30 ET Sunday on CNBC.

Friday, July 8, 2016

INDYCAR To Cover 925k In Boston Refunds

INDYCAR announced Thursday that they as the sanctioning body for the Verizon IndyCar Series will cover $925,000 in reimbursing fans who had purchased tickets.

The entire press release:

NDIANAPOLIS (Thursday, July 7, 2016) - Stepping into the breach left by promoter Boston Grand Prix - when it failed to fully refund ticket purchasers after the cancellation of its planned race - INDYCAR announced today it would contribute $925,000 to help make fans whole. 
"I appreciate INDYCAR's willingness to step up for their fans and help resolve this problem," Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey said in a news release earlier today. "They've gone above and beyond to be a productive part of this solution, and their fans will reap the benefits." 
In May of last year, INDYCAR entered into an agreement with race organizer Boston Grand Prix for races to be run in Boston annually from 2016 through 2020. But on April 29, BGP unilaterally canceled the race scheduled for Labor Day weekend and its plans to stage races in Boston in the future. According to news reports, the amount BGP has refunded to ticket holders to date is insufficient to make full refunds. 
Attorney General Healey announced earlier today that her office has filed suit against Boston Grand Prix and its CEO John Casey to pursue the remainder of refunds owed to ticket purchasers. 
"We enjoy some of the most loyal and devoted fans in all of sports, and so we are pleased to work with the Attorney General and contribute in her efforts to protect ticket buyers," said Mark Miles, CEO of Hulman & Co., the parent of INDYCAR and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. "We want our fans to know that we share their disappointment that the race won't take place. And we also want to join them in expressing our appreciation for Attorney General Healey's work on their behalf." 
Ticket purchasers that are owed a refund should contact the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Hotline at (617) 727-8400. Customer service representatives will be on standby to assist with the process for securing refunds.  

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Daly & Newgarden Not Allowed To Complete Texas Event

INDYCAR announced Friday their reversed decision to not permit Conor Daly and Josef Newgarden to return to the field when the IndyCar Series returns to Texas Motor Speedway in August.

The Dale Coyne Racing and Ed Carpenter Racing cars were involved in a Lap 42 incident which resulted in 2 destroyed Dallara chassis.

The remaining cars will be allowed to use the car and engine of their choice with fuel and tire allotment TBD.

With 71 laps in the books the green flag will drop on the final 177 laps after a systems check by each car, a 25 minute practice followed by an autograph session in the afternoon. The practice will be broken up into two groups for 10 minutes a piece with 5 minutes at the end allotted to the entire field.

The IndyCars will return to Texas August 27.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Texas Race Postponed To August

The rain just wouldn't let up at the Texas Motor Speedway.

Originally scheduled for Saturday night, the Firestone 600 was postponed to Sunday at 1:06 pm local time.

Come Sunday afternoon the weepers were still weeping, causing a 40 minute delay, but the drivers were finally called to start their engines at 1:44pm.

An hour later the skies opened up, red flagging the race on Lap 71. With an ominous  forecast, INDYCAR made the decision to postpone the race to August 27th.

The one-day event will consist of an autograph session, practice and then the remaining 177 laps of the 600 km race at a time TBD. When the race picks up at Lap 71 the remaining order will consist of:

1 - James Hinchcliffe
2 - Ryan Hunter-Reay
3 - Mikhail Aleshin
4 - Will Power
5 - Ed Carpenter
6 - Gabby Chaves
7 - Helio Castroneves
8 - Charlie Kimball
9 - Carlos Munoz
10 - Juan Pablo Montoya

Both Conor Daly and Josef Newgarden, assuming he's medically cleared to drive, who were involved in a Lap 42 incident are expected to be allowed to return to the race.

Newgarden Okay After Scary Texas Crash

Nearing the end of lap 42 at Sunday's weather delayed Firestone 600 at Texas Motor Speedway IndyCar drivers Conor Daly and Josef Newgarden were involved in a scary crash.

Exiting Turn 4 Conor Daly got loose, over corrected and turned right into Josef Newgarden who was attempting to pass on the outside. The two slammed hard into the outside wall causing Newgarden's No. 21 to flip onto his right side. Following a long slide Newgarden's Dallara made wall contact again just prior to the start/finish line, this time head first. The DW12's rollhoop dug deep into the SAFER Barrier, tearing a large chunk of material out from the wall. His car continued to slide on it's side before coming to a stop at the exit of the tri-oval, flipping back onto what was left of his four wheels.

Daly exited his car under his own power and was checked, cleared, and released from the infield care center.

Newgarden got out of the car under much of his own power with some help from the Holmatro Safety Team. Standing and talking with the medical crew, Newgarden collapsed about 10 seconds after exiting the car. He was then sat back to his sidepod for further evaluation before being placed on a backboard to transported to the infield car center where he was awake and alert.

The 25-year-old was later airlifted to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas were he was diagnosed with a fractured right clavicle and a fracture to his right hand.

"Thank you to Dallara, INDYCAR, the Holmatro Safety Team and everyone we work with at Texas Motor Speedway," Newgarden said. "The car held up great and the response from the safety team was amazing. I'm banged up a little bit but I'm generally OK. That's all thanks to INDYCAR and all the work everyone within the series does. I am feeling a little pain but I hope to be ready to rock and go again soon. We had a great car today, it just did not go how we had planned. I feel bad for both Conor and myself but I'm glad Conor is OK as well. I'll be back out there fighting as soon as I can. Luckily I am all right, thank you again to everyone who helped me."

Newgarden is expected to be released tonight.